As always, feel free to switch things up with different ingredients! This dish is low-fat, vegan, gluten-free*, and delicious.
- 1 head of cabbage, shredded (red cabbage shown; also good with Napa variety)
- onion OR scallions, sliced very thin
- hot peppers, sliced (optional)
- sesame seeds, toasted
- slivered almonds, toasted
- crispy/chow mein noodles (optional; not shown)
- 1/4 cup vinegar (red wine, rice wine, or apple cider work well)
- 3/4 cup oil (olive or vegetable work well)
- 1/2 cup sugar or sweetener of your preference
- 2 tbsp soy sauce*
How to Make it:
Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage head. Shred or thinly slice the cabbage (if you have a mandolin, use it to shred the cabbage; if you do not own such equipment, a large knife will do the job just as well) and place it in a large bowl. Slice the onion or scallions and pepper and add to the cabbage. Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator while making the dressing and toasting the nuts and seeds.
The dressing is so simple! Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil for a minute; let cool.
Toast the almonds and sesame seeds separately as the seeds toast faster than the almonds. Even so, the technique is the same: place nuts/seeds in a small pan over medium heat, stirring constantly (don't leave your stove top as the nuts and seeds will burn quickly when left unattended). Toast until the nuts/seeds begin to brown.
Take your bowl of cabbage out of the refrigerator; drizzle on the dressing and toss. Sprinkle on the nuts, seeds, and noodles (not shown) and enjoy.
Media (text and images) created and published by Rebekah Carter 2010.