*Make this dish vegan by replacing the butter with olive oil and omitting the sour cream/yogurt garnish.
- 5 tbsp butter
- 3 medium onions, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed & minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tbsp dried fenugreek, chopped
- 2-3 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, one diced, one sliced into rounds
- 2-3 cups beets, small or medium sized, peeled & sliced
- 1 cup potato, sliced or diced
- 1 cup turnips, peeled & sliced
- 1 small cabbage, sliced into ribbons
- 6 cups of vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- Salt, according to taste (at least 1 tsp)
How to Make it:
Prepare all produce and ingredients as instructed. In a large pot over medium heat, melt your butter and add your onion, garlic, parsley, thyme, fenugreek, celery, diced carrots, and a sprinkle of salt; saute this mixture for about 3 minutes, stirring often. Next, add your beets, potato, carrot slices, turnips, and another sprinkle of salt; saute this mixture for 20-25 minutes or until the root vegetables are slightly soft. Add your vegetable stock and bring to a boil; reduce the heat and add your vinegar, dill, cabbage, and salt to taste and simmer for 20-25 minutes. You can enjoy this soup immediately but the flavor really develops a day or so after its original preparation! Consume within a week.
Media (text and images) created and published by Rebekah Carter 2010.